That are the most readily useful male/female cavy fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring the essential issues in their social life. I really hope this short article will makes things effortless for one to determine on the guinea pigs’ social lives and also make them live pleased together.
1. Why do you want multiple guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are extremely social pets, it will always be suggested they live with one or more another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how enough time spent with her or him, as you aren’t (presumably, when you are looking over this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, they trying to say to us although we can mostly understand what are.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less interested, less vocal, less active, less funny. It is really not normal for them to live without the other of the type.
Whenever residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever cage that is choosing, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – because there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood pet shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, as you can conserve the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, extremely depends upon your geographic location and guinea pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in case a guinea pig is just a boar or even a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term utilized to explain the castration of the male animal. It comprises of getting rid of the testicles.
- Spaying: a broad term utilized to explain the ovariohysterectomy of a sow. It consist of a reduction of a sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or even a dramatically big component. It really is a serious and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both neutering and spaying are medical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. A veterinarian performs them. These are generally mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is best to truly save the people which occur then to reproduce ones that are new.
If having an option, always neuter your guinea that is male pig. The procedure is much more complicated for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly speak to your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You need to be 100% certain that the sex is known by you of one’s guinea pigs. There are pages that are great this, like about this website website website link. If you’re nevertheless uncertain concerning the sex, ask your veterinarian. Don’t depend on the given information provided to you because of the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big cage that is enough you’ll find the minimal suggested measurements in the guinea pig cages web page.
- If having two men, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these may have “his very very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage accessories should really be washed vinegar that is using to get rid of all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can also be suggested to eliminate the prevailing “personal touch”.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage regarding the brand new comer. By doing this the newbie would significantly smell such as a user regarding the herd.
- Quarantine duration for a brand new guinea pig. Your free porn guinea that is new pig carry some diseases that could incubate for some time, and spread among your current cavies. Consequently, you will need to quarantine your guinea that is new pig at minimum a couple of weeks, therefore prospective diseases would show over time to stop epidemic. Keep carefully the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and wash your hand always after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are purchased from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two child guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and an adult guinea pig for the gender that is same
- Neutered male and another or higher females
- Two females. It will be possible which they will never go along – will depend on their characters
- Two men could inhabit harmony, but that is dependent on a case that is specific again, regarding the character for the guinea pigs at issue
5. Introductions guidelines and recommendations
- Whenever presenting guinea that is new, never place your brand new guinea pig directly when you look at the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very first conference must be done on the big, enclosed “neutral ground” – somewhere away from cage, in an area that is a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of the kitchen area or your bathrooms.
- Put a heap of hay and treats (vegetables) in to the center of this area.
- Spot all your valuable guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, just in case they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring the other person is normal. Then, all this work might happen: mounting each other, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring followed by swaggering stroll, etc. it really is a thing that is natural them – establishing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom doesn’t care. This can simply just take about a full hour; from then on, you need to nevertheless observe them for the next handful of hours.
- Following the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they ought to appear confident with one another. They can be placed by you during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour within the cage for the next time frame, simply to make sure they truly are okay.
- If they don’t appear to go along after their time together committed from the ground that is neutral read further. When they begin to get physically aggressive and fight, you need to put a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another.
6. Imagine if they don’t get on?
It’s possible that the guinea pigs won’t go along, regardless of what you are doing and just how very very carefully you have got browse the guidelines with this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened – nature simply works this way.
In such a circumstance, you will want to keep them divided in some manner. The most sensible thing to complete would be to have them near sufficient so they really could see, smell and communicate with one another, but are divided with a few type of a partition. They have been nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig within their vicinity will be a deal that is great them.